Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.
Fullscreen MapMap Show Current LocationMy Location

All Stories: 128

Hosmer Library was built in 1913 during a period of rapid immigration into Minneapolis. The library was used often by students from Central High School, one block away, which opened in 1916. (Central High was closed and mostly demolished in 1982;…

Architects: Charles S. Sedgwick & Warren H. Hayes, 1897 1911: Kindergarten room by Purcell, Feick & Elmslie (demolished). 1937 addition: great hall, hallway, and chapel 1980s addition: offices on south side 2002 addition: Wing on Marquette Avenue…

Original design by Lawrence Halprin and Associates, 1967 1990 renovation by BRW Architects 2017 renovation by James Corner Field Operations Nicollet Avenue has been Minneapolis’ main shopping street for more than 100 years. The street, along…

Architects: Frederick Ackerman (New York) with Magney & Tusler (Minneapolis), 1926 Renovation and restoration by Ellerbe Becket, 1989 A reviewer called this “one of the most beautiful store buildings in the world.” It was the realization of…

Architects: Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates (New York City) with Hammel Green & Abrahamson (Minneapolis) and acoustical engineer Cyril Harris (New York City), 1974 First renovation by Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates, 1997 Second renovation by…

Architects: Long and Thorshov, 1923 Addition by Long and Thorshov, 1929 Renovation by Shea Architects, 1993 The Medical Arts Building is sheathed in bright white terra cotta. “Terra cotta” translates from Latin as “baked earth,” and…

Architect: Gunnar Birkerts & Associates, 1972 Renovation and addition by Walsh Bishop Associates, 2002 Built in 1972 and originally designed to house the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, this building began as an experiment in expressionistic…

Share this Page