Ox carts either forded or ferried across the Rum River here.

In 1849, when E. S. Seymour arrived near the mouth of the Rum River while traveling north on the trail, he paid the ferrymen three shillings to cross and recalled: “Here was a small log-cabin occupied by two bachelors, who kept the ferry: they had no other means of providing for our comfort than a liquor-bar and an empty room, destitute of bedding and furniture …”

His party opted to camp out after they were ferried across the river.

Sometimes carts crossed at the ferry landing. When they reached a river that was too deep to ford, carters could remove the wheels and float the carts across.

Images

Audio

Peninsula Point commentary
Creator: Mark Labine
View File Record
Mark Labine, autobiographical

View File Record

Map

Public park