Peninsula Point in Two Rivers Park, Anoka

Ox carts either forded or ferried across the Rum River here.

In 1849, when E. S. Seymour arrived near the mouth of the Rum River while traveling north on the trail, he paid the ferrymen three shillings to cross and recalled: “Here was a small log-cabin occupied by two bachelors, who kept the ferry: they had no other means of providing for our comfort than a liquor-bar and an empty room, destitute of bedding and furniture …”

His party opted to camp out after they were ferried across the river.

Sometimes carts crossed at the ferry landing. When they reached a river that was too deep to ford, carters could remove the wheels and float the carts across.

Images

Lower Rum River

Lower Rum River

Creator: Reggie McLeod; photographed October 2017 View File Details Page

Rum River Ferry

Rum River Ferry

Creator: Harper™s New Monthly Magazine, August 1860 View File Details Page

Audio

Peninsula Point commentary

Creator: Mark Labine View File Details Page

Mark Labine, autobiographical

View File Details Page

Access Information:

Public park

Cite this Page:

Reggie McLeod for the Minneapolis Riverfront Partnership
(Copyright 2017, Minneapolis Riverfront Partnership), “Peninsula Point in Two Rivers Park, Anoka,” Minneapolis Historical, accessed December 12, 2017, http://minneapolishistorical.org/items/show/144.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story