Salvage Corps Station No. 2 (1905)

AN AUXILIARY FIRE HOUSE TO PROTECT PRIVATE PROPERTY • • •

• 528-530 University Ave. SE
• George Bertrand and Arthur Chamberlin, architects
• Italianate-style
• Narrated by Alex Roberts •

Designed by George Bertrand and Arthur Chamberlin, this Italianate building was originally a private auxiliary fire station. Such private stations, referred to as “salvage corps,” were common in affluent neighborhoods. They were owned by insurance underwriters. When city fire trucks responded to an alarm, auxiliary station engines did, too—sometimes even leading the way. Their goal: to save as much private property as possible from fire damage, theft and destruction.

In the years to follow, this building housed the YMCA, the Garwood speedboat factory and a frozen-food plant.

Images

Salvage Corps Station No. 2, 528-530 University Ave. SE

Salvage Corps Station No. 2, 528-530 University Ave. SE

Copyright Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association View File Details Page

Salvage Corps Station No. 2 Sculpture

Salvage Corps Station No. 2 Sculpture

Aldo Moroni, 6th Ave. SE View File Details Page

Audio

Narration, Alex Roberts

View File Details Page

Commentary, Alex Roberts

View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association, “Salvage Corps Station No. 2 (1905),” Minneapolis Historical, accessed January 20, 2018, http://minneapolishistorical.org/items/show/79.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story