Florence Court (1884)

TOWNHOUSES FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS • • •

• 10th Avenue and University Avenue SE
• Frederick Long and Frederick Kees, architects
• Queen Anne-style
• Narrated by Dave Dorman ••

Completed in 1884 by contractor Jeremiah Spear, Florence Court was designed by Frederick Long and Frederick Kees, the same architects responsible for Minneapolis City Hall.

L-shaped, the Queen Anne-style brick building originally contained nine townhouses for middle-class families. Later, the townhouses were subdivided and other houses were moved to the site to complete the third side of the building’s courtyard.

Spear’s house was also located here, on the University Avenue side, although it was eventually razed to make way for a student housing development.

In 1983, Florence Court received local historic designation by the Minneapolis Historic Preservation Commission.

Images

Florence Court, 10th Avenue and University Avenue SE

Florence Court, 10th Avenue and University Avenue SE

Copyright Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association View File Details Page

Florence Court Sculpture

Florence Court Sculpture

Aldo Moroni, 6th Ave. SE View File Details Page

Audio

Narration, Dave Dorman

View File Details Page

Commentary, Dave Dorman

View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association, “Florence Court (1884),” Minneapolis Historical, accessed November 23, 2017, http://minneapolishistorical.org/items/show/88.

Share this Story