Shepard Manufacturing Company (1884)

FROM BROOM HANDLES TO VINEGAR • • •

• 129 6th Avenue SE
• Architect Unknown
• Narrated by Doug Forbes •

Built in 1884 by James R. Shepard at a cost of $8,000, this building started life as a factory. Broom handles were made here, as was excelsior, the softwood shavings used for packing fragile objects or stuffing furniture. The building went on to serve a variety of uses, including village laundry, baled-hay storage and vinegar manufacturing.


Images

Shepard Manufacturing Company, 129 6th Ave. SE

Shepard Manufacturing Company, 129 6th Ave. SE

Copyright Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association View File Details Page

Shepard Manufacturing Company Sculpture

Shepard Manufacturing Company Sculpture

Aldo Moroni, 6th Ave. SE View File Details Page

Audio

Narration, Doug Forbes

View File Details Page

Commentary, Doug Forbes

View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association, “Shepard Manufacturing Company (1884),” Minneapolis Historical, accessed October 21, 2017, http://minneapolishistorical.org/items/show/90.

Share this Story