Winthrop School/East High School (1867 and 1900)

ONE OF OUR FIRST SCHOOLS • • •

• 25 University Avenue SE
• Edward Stebbins, architect
• French Second Empire and Classical Revival styles
• Narrated by Beatrice Kennedy-Logan •

Schools were among the first public institutions to be established in St. Anthony and included Winthrop School, which stood on this site from 1867 until 1898, when it was replaced by East High School.

In time, East High was abandoned as a school. Most of the building was razed in the 1950s to make way for the Eastgate Shopping Center.

In 2007, the surviving portion of East High, which served as business offices and artists’ studios, and Eastgate Shopping Center itself were also razed to make way for current development.


Images

Site of Winthrop School, 25 University Avenue SE

Site of Winthrop School, 25 University Avenue SE

Copyright Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association View File Details Page

Winthrop School/East High School Sculpture

Winthrop School/East High School Sculpture

Aldo Moroni, 6th Ave. SE View File Details Page

Audio

Narration, Beatrice Kennedy-Logan

View File Details Page

Commentary, Beatrice Kennedy-Logan

View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association, “Winthrop School/East High School (1867 and 1900) ,” Minneapolis Historical, accessed December 14, 2017, http://minneapolishistorical.org/items/show/92.

Share this Story